Case studies on social determinants of health
WHO - World Conference on Social Determinants of Health, 19-21 October 2011, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Available online at: http://bit.ly/pfKNIH
“…..The following case studies were commissioned by WHO Regional Offices for the World Conference on Social Determinants of Health. The case studies present successful examples of policy action aiming to reduce health inequities, covering a wide range of issues, including conditional cash transfers, gender-based violence, tuberculosis programmes and maternal and child health.
The case studies were written by individual experts and are being circulated as draft background papers to inform discussions at the conference.
They represent the views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, policies, or decisions of WHO or the governments of the countries where the case studies are set.
• United States of America How can we get the 'social determinants of health' message on the public policy and public health agenda?
• Solomon Islands Gender-based violence in
• Viet Nam Gender-based violence in
• Australia Health in All Policies:
• WHO Western Pacific region Addressing social determinants of health through tuberculosis control programmes in Western Pacific Region
The Primary Health Care Approach in
• India Effective social determinants of health approach in
• Thailand Health systems, public health programmes and social determinants of health
• Egypt Social participation in
• Morocco Social determinants and health equity in
• Australia Supporting public policy and action on the social determinants of health by providing evidence through the Social Health Atlases of Australia
• Cambodia Gender as a social determinant of health: Gender analysis of the health sector in
• WHO Western Pacific region Gender mainstreaming in emerging disease surveillance and response
• Iran School Pupil Policy Officer (Hamyare Police) - A national initiative based on social participation to improve road safety
• Jordan National commitment to action on social determinants of health in
• Namibia Report on country experience: A multi-sectoral response to combat the polio outbreak in
• Rwanda Community performance-based financing in health: Incentivizing mothers and community health workers to improve maternal health outcomes
• Uganda Social determinants of health: Food fortification to reduce micronutrient deficiency - Strengthening the National Food Fortification Programm
• Zimbabwe Intersectoral actions in response to cholera in
• Brazil The Green Area of Morro da Policia: Health practitioners working with communities to tackle the social determinants of health
• Chile Steps towards the health equity agenda in
• Pakistan Heartfile Health Financing: Striving to achieve health equity in
* * *
This message from the Pan American Health Organization, PAHO/WHO, is part of an effort to disseminate
information Related to: Equity; Health inequality; Socioeconomic inequality in health; Socioeconomic
health differentials; Gender; Violence; Poverty; Health Economics; Health Legislation; Ethnicity; Ethics;
Information Technology - Virtual libraries; Research & Science issues. [DD/ KMC Area]
“Materials provided in this electronic list are provided "as is". Unless expressly stated otherwise, the findings
and interpretations included in the Materials are those of the authors and not necessarily of The Pan American
Health Organization PAHO/WHO or its country members”.
Equity List - Archives - Join/remove: http://listserv.paho.org/Archives/equidad.html
Blog SDOH: http://bit.ly/nA9cdx
IMPORTANT: This transmission is for use by the intended
recipient and it may contain privileged, proprietary or
confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient or a person responsible for delivering this
transmission to the intended recipient, you may not
disclose, copy or distribute this transmission or take
any action in reliance on it. If you received this transmission
in error, please dispose of and delete this transmission.